As you know, we are filling in as furlough replacements during this next year, and that has several implications for us. First, the church attendance where we are pastoring/planting has been lower since our co-workers left, and there is a tremendous need to get the gospel out in our community. Therefore, we would like to have an evangelistic outreach focused mission team. Also, We are in the midst of building a church building. The church has been meeting in the Whatley's home basically since the beginning, and the church is definitely outgrowing the available space. The building needs are as follows: doors and windows, a large exterior temporary wall, wiring, plumbing, and eventually stucco, tile, and a drop ceiling. The church has been saving money to continue construction, however funds are definitely still needed. We are praying that the Lord will send several teams with varied skills to us during this year.
Other than the outreach/evangelism and construction goals. We would like to do the following this year Lord-willing:
1. Be actively discipling the members of the church through small-group Sunday School (evidently a novel concept in most of Peru).
2. Be encouraging not only participation but leadership in the areas of evangelism and discipleship among church members.
3. Start a bible-study with the goal of it becoming a church in the nearby village of Huayllabamba.
4. Visit and evangelize the totally untouched Quechua villages in the mountains in our immediate area.
5. Teach several courses in the Seminary in nearby Urubamba.
6. Obtain property in the Southern jungle "capital" Puerto Maldonado. This would serve as base of operations for our jungle ministry, and would likely be the site for another church in the city which now has nearly 100,000 people and only 1 small Baptist work, which is probably the only gospel preaching church in the entire province.
7. Begin construction on the property if necessary.
8. Continue to improve cultural and linguistic understanding and practices.
9. Observe and learn from the veteran Baptist missionaries and pastors in the area.
10. Compile and record deputation tips for future deputizing missionaries.
Thank you in advance for your prayers regarding these requests.
In Christ Alone, Buddy and Loren Fitzgerald