"How do I keep from burning out?" is what she asked...

"This morning I woke up overwhelmed, spent, and despairing. To be honest I was tired of everything. Tired of sickness, tired of trying, tired of pretending, tired of relationships and how complicated and messy they seem. I was drowning. I wanted to ugly cry."

I can't even tell you when I wrote these words because I did not date the journal entry. Yet while reading them they again stirred an ache in my heart.

People often ask "what's it like to be a missionary?"

I still remember when a dear college friend came to visit me at the Miami hospital while my husband, my four month old baby, and I were admitted for dengue. She looked at me and told me that she envied my life. I remember how ironic those words seemed at the moment. We had just been med-evaced from Peru. My husband and I had hemorrhaging dengue, my little four month was so dehydrated they needed a sonogram machine to find a vein, and my two year was freaking out because he was given to people he believed were strangers (really his grandparents).

Don't misunderstand I love the part the Lord has allowed my family and me to play in His redemption story. I really do love living here. I have grown to love the people and I have deep, dear friendships.

Even so, truth be told, mission life is not as glamorous and adventurous as most try to make it seem.

I often have to remind myself what "the mission is".

Missions is about knowing Him and Making Him known.

Just recently a sweet friend wrote to me asking this question, "How do I keep from burning out?" This is what I wrote back to her.  I thought it might encourage someone else out thereπŸ˜‰


Just like you, I struggle (yes, present tense) with the passion I have for Christ, only one candle to burn, being the best helpmeet to my hubby, raising my children to love God passionately, preparing them for whatever part God has for them to play in this great story of redemption, a desire to counsel, to inspire, encourage and equip women to grow in their faith so they can effectively reach others for Christ, open a crisis pregnancy center, finish my master's in counseling, learn to play the cello, etc..

So, therefore I often pray "Teach me to do Your will for You are my God! Let Your good Spirit lead me on level ground" Psalm 143:10

On those mornings when I am most burdened or overwhelmed I quiet my heart with "Let me hear in the morning of Your steadfast love, for in You I trust. Make me know the way I should go for to You I lift my soul." Psalm 143:8

I have found it imperative to wake up early and quiet my heart to hear His leading. Mornings are great for me but that may not be the best time for you. Just take some time to listen, and cast your burdens and desires on the Lord.

I agree with the other ladies whom also responded to your question. Remember, different seasons will bring different blessings and challenges. Don't miss the blessings of your present season. I have had to put on hold my master's degree, cello, and medical work because those good things are not the best for this season. Talk to your husband, pray with him, and pour your heart out sharing your desires and challenges. He may be a little overwhelmed (as my husband often is when I do this😜) but this will unite and deepen your relationship.

Having a clear vision statement or mission statement helps in knowing what to cut out. Once a month I go over my roles and goals adjusting them to my current situation.

Unlike some ministry wives, Buddy expects me to very involved in inspiring, encouraging, and equipping women to grow in their faith so they can effectively reach others for Christ. Therefore, I have had to be creative and flexible in my schedule to be a better helpmeet. I share this because there is no cookie-cutter version of a wife in ministry.

Stay open to constructive criticism. Listen intently to God's leading through His word, your husband and Titus 2 women.

Know that you are loved, precious and cared for by a God that gave His son for you "how will He not also with Him graciously give you all things" (which includes clarity, wisdom, strength, and grace to do His will)

If you would speak to any of my past interns you would know that this is a present struggle. I do not live in a state of blissful contentment. It is a battle: dying to self, taking up my cross, and following my loving Savior. He gives joy, peace, and contentment in humble obedience.

Comments

  1. Beautifully written, Loren. I know you had a huge impact on my niece's life as she interned under your leadership. Thank you for your transparency in this post and for encouraging us to not miss out on the blessings God has planned for our present season of life --as we strive to die to self, take up our cross , and follow our dear Savior for His glory. Psalm 16:11

    ReplyDelete
  2. πŸ’›πŸ’›πŸ’› this post, Loren! So real, and a good encouragement. Thank you for your genuine spirit, passion for Christ and others, and practical tips on implementing those things-- all Christ, all His Word, and His strength all the way through. . .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts