Making Lard from pork fat. "Real scratch"





Here is a more accurate list of oils and fats allowed on the AIP diet.






















 I use my cast-iron  Dutch oven.














Cut the pork fat into roughly 1-inch squares.

You don't need to add any water. 
Cook using the lowest heat possible and cover it with a lid. Higher heat (when you see smoke) will burn the lard very quickly, and it will taste and look burned. (Yep, I know by experience🤦‍♀️)













Stir often! It will tend to want to stick if the fire is too high.

When your fat looks like pork rinds you know your done. I wait for the oil to cool. 
Then I strain it and put it in a jar.


 When it’s done right, the color of the lard will be lightly golden in liquid form and creamy white after it has cooled and solidified. Once the lard is cooled, cover and store it in the refrigerator. Hope that was helpful.

I'm a city girl learning to live in a third world jungle!

Comments

Popular Posts